Emergency!


Emergency!

From the stillness, chaos ensued.
Rushing: recklessly into a casualty room.
Raced, by ambulance.
Emblazoning: flashing lights.
Racing through the traffic; that cold winter's night.
Paramedic pumping: to keep me alive.
Tubes and wires attached, to keep life on my side.
I can hear my family saying, "Please do not die".
Hoping internally, that this is a lie.
Emergency, please keep clear.
Hurried into resuscitation.
Hoping this was all but a dream.
As my heart: is fired back to life.
And my lungs, gasp for air.
I am revived and glad to be alive.
Emergency resolved.
So grateful: to those saviours of my soul.
On that perilous cold, winter’s night.


Copyright © 2013 Deborah M. Hodgetts

Comments

  1. That sounds like a terrifying experience, and glad you're on the other side of it now (I hope).

    But I know there can be more to it than that. My friend "Lil' Jess" collapsed when she was teaching a dance class - it was a terrifying experience for everyone who knew her (including of course Jess). But the way she's lived her life beyond it has been an inspiration.

    As I am all too aware myself (I almost died in a dumb walking accident as a 20 year old who thought himself invulnerable) - one of the most powerful gifts any individual can have is simply to be able to sit down, and embrace a moment in time saying "I am alive, and it's a gift, a great gift to be here now".

    I sometimes think Ian Flemming got it on the nose when he wrote "you only live twice - once when you are born, and once when you look death in the eye".

    All the best,

    Mike

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.
I look forward to seeing you here again soon.

Wishing you a magical day!
Deborah :-) xx

Popular Posts